Wednesday, October 13, 2010

7:2 Reparation

When and Where Did I Find It: I chose this word while reading my Social Studies textbook, “World History: Making Connection to Today” by Elizabeth Gaynor Ellis and Anthony Esler.
What It Means: Ellis& Esler (2005) state, “Some 40 years later, both the United States and Canada apologized for the wartime policy and provided former internees with reparations, or payment for damages caused by the imprisonment. This is specifically referring to the imprisonment for Japanese American into Internment Camps during World War II after the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
Ellis, E.G., & Esler, A. (2005) World History: Connections to Today, Needham, MA: Prentice Hall.
Level of Familiarity: I am very familiar with this word that I have chosen. I have intently studied World War II for many years and have come across this word countless times.
Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?: I think this is a very important word for me to be familiar with. It serves as a highly significant term of World War II. As a Social Studies teacher, this is common knowledge to my discourse.
 Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well…if So Who and Why? I think it is important for others to be familiar with this word. It refers to the harsh and unjust treatment of Japanese-Americans during World War II. These were American citizens that had their basic human rights ignored and violated, and most weren’t compensated with these reparations for over four decades.

2 comments:

  1. Great inclusion of content area vocabulary Brett! Glad you were able to use this assignment to think about concepts that are so important to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, do you know either of these books:

    _Why Do They Hate Me? Young Lives Caught In Conflict._
    _Dessert Exile_

    You might like either or both as additional resources for your unit (or just to read for fun).

    ReplyDelete