Wednesday, October 13, 2010

7:1 Dispositional

When and Where Did I Find It: I came across this word while reading Guthrie & Wigfield’s “Engagement and Motivation in Reading” in the Handbook of Reading Research: Volume III.
What It Means: In context, Gutherie &Wigfield state, “Further intrinsic motivation has a dispositional component, which refers to the desire to interact with those activities.” It is similar to a tendency and/or desire.
Gutherie, J.T. & Wigfield, A. (2000) Engagement and Motivation in Reading. In Kamil, M. L., Mosenthal, P. B., Pearson, P. D., & Barr, R. (Eds.). (2000). Handbook of reading research: Volume III. Mahwas, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
Level of Familiarity: I have heard this word in conversation before but I have never understood what it meant or taken the time to look it up.
Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?: I think this is a great vocabulary word that I would like to add to my repertoire. I have not seen it used in many examples so I would struggle to fit this word into my casual conversations. This is something I am interested in achieving.
Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well…if So Who and Why? I believe this word would be beneficial for anyone to learn. It can be used in multiple content areas which is very advantageous. This can help bridge connections between different concepts and boost comprehension.

No comments:

Post a Comment