Monday, December 6, 2010

14:2 Adjunct

When and Where Did I Find It? One of my friends told me their dad was an adjunct professor at Syracuse University. I pretended like I knew what that meant but went straight to the computer to look it up when I got home.
What It Means? According to www.thefreedictionary.com, an adjunct is “something or someone attached to another in a dependent or subordinate position.”
Level of Familiarity: I have definitely heard this word before, and should have remembered what it meant, but forgot.
Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why? As a teacher candidate, I need to become more familiar with this term. Although it is my goal to teach full time in a high school setting in my own classroom, I would not rule out the possibility of going part-time at the university level. The aspect of no retirement or health benefit is a big turnoff though.
Do I Want Others to Know This Word Well…if so Who and Why? This term could be useful to all of you. Adjunct professors have the same qualifications as teachers, but it is not as stable because future courses are not assured. This is because it is cheaper for colleges to hire and pay as such. With this economy though, take what you can get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment