Monday, December 6, 2010

14:1 Parasomnia

When and Where Did I Find It? I chose this word from a video called “Extreme Sleepwalking” that I was asked to show a psychology class while teaching at Fairport High School.
What It Means? According to www.thefreedictionary.com, parasomnia is “a category of sleep disorders in which abnormal events occur during sleep, such as sleepwalking or talking; due to inaprorietly timed activation of physiological systems.”
Level of Familiarity: I have heard of insomnia before, but never parasomnia.
Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why? This is something that I am very interested in. As a kid, I used to sleepwalk. I would get out of bed, go into the family room, grab some pillows, throw them in the garbage in the kitchen, and go back to bed. It was so bizarre! Luckily I grew out of that. I am still astonished at the fact that people can be on the move and totally unaware.
Do I Want Others to Know This Word Well…if so Who and Why? I suggest people familiarize themselves with this word. The number of cases reported for parasomniacs increases every year. Parasomnia can make for some funny stories, but can also be extremely dangerous. In fact, there have even been murder cases of parasomniacs. Be very careful around these people, especially if trying to wake them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment