Wednesday, September 22, 2010

3:2 Expository

When and Where Did I Find It: I found this word while reading "Teaching Reading in the Content Areas" by Rachel Billmeyer and Mary Lee Barton.

What It Means: This definition was retrieved from http://www.dictionary.com/. The word "expository" means to set forth, explain, clarify, define, instruct or inform. The context in which this word was used was another way to refer to informational text. Examples of this type of text include textbook chapters and newspaper and magazine articles.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/expository

Level of Familarity: As a Social Studies teacher, I am very familiar with this word since a majority of my teacher is based on informational, or expository texts. Specifically, the majority of the course comes from the textbook. However, this is not a word that I often use in my everyday vocabulary.

Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why? I would like to become more familiar with this word because of its significance to my content area in the school setting. Expository, or informational text is one of the most common types of text found in school classrooms. It can be organized in many different ways including; chronological sequencing, description,  episodes, and comparison and contrast.  These are just a few of the many effective ways in which students can increase their comprehension.



Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well..if So who and Why? I think that others should make the effort to become more familiar with this word. As teachers, this is a word that we all should have background knowledge on. Students are working with these types of texts every day and we need to be aware of the most effective ways to work with these types of text.

No comments:

Post a Comment