Wednesday, September 29, 2010

5:2 Malodorous

When and Where Did I Find It: I discovered this word while reading chapter 6 of Fisher and Frey’s, “Word wise and Content Rich: Five Essential Steps to Teaching Academic Vocabulary”
What It Means: Fisher and Frey (2008) exclaim, "For instance, the physical education teachers used malodorous  to describe the condition of the locker rooms" (p.127). Malodorous means very unpleasant smelling; having a bad odor; highly  improper.


Fisher, D. & Frey, N. (2008). Word wise and content rich: Five essential steps to teaching academic vocabulary. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann. 
Level of Familarity: I am unfamiliar with this word and have never seen used it before.

Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why? I am not interested in becoming any more familiar with this word. I decided to look investigate it because I have never seen it before and wanted to know what it means. However, if I took more time to analyze the word I would have seen the root word ‘odor’ and then termed ‘mal’ to describe something as negative or bad. This would have prevented me from further investigating this word.

Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well..if So who and Why? I do not think that this is a highly useful word for people to become familiar with. I would assume that if this word could be used in conversation, it would be on a very unpleasant topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment