Wednesday, September 22, 2010

4:1 Containment

When and Where Did I Find It: I found this word in my Social Studies textbook World History: Connections to Today (Ellis and Esler, 2005).


What It Means: Ellis and Esler (2005) state, "The Truman Doctrine was rooted in the idea of containment, limiting communism to the areas already under Soviet control" (p. 793). Containment refers to the Cold War policy of limiting communism to areas already under Soviet control.

Ellis, E.G., & Esler, A. (2005) World History: Connections to Today, Needham, MA: Prentice Hall.

Level of Familarity: I am very familiar with this word as it comes up every time there is a discussion of the post-World War II period.

 
Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why? This is a very important word to know as a Global teacher. It serves as one of the main ideas and foundations of the Truman Doctrine


Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well..if So who and Why? I think this word is an important term for Social Studies classrooms and history majors to know and understand. However, I do not think it is of great importance outside of its content area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment