Monday, November 29, 2010

12:4 Loquacious

When and Where Did I Find It: I was substitute teaching in a middle school for a 6:1:1 self-contained classroom the other day. These students displayed very poor behavior and were way too noisy and talkative. I needed a synonym for this in my note to the teacher to sound more professional and ended up saying, “The students were rather loquacious today.” Now that I think about it, I wonder if that teacher went to the dictionary after reading my note.

What It Means?: According to www.dictionary.com, it means “Talking or tending to talk much or freely; talkative; chattering.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/loquacious

               
Level of Familiarity: I am not familiar with this word at all.

Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why? I am very interested in learning this word in more depth. As a teacher it is important to be able to use appropriate vocabulary. This is especially true when using words to describe students. It would be beneficial for me to learn synonyms to more words that will help me in describing student action and behavior.

Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well..if so Who and Why? I think it would be a great idea for others to learn this word. It is a great vocabulary word that can be used to describe a situation that is hard to depict as pleasant. This word has a more professional vibe to it. It would be advantageous for all of us in the education to develop a more refined vocabulary.

No comments:

Post a Comment