Monday, November 29, 2010

12:7 Autonomy

When and Where Did I Find It: I retrieved this word from Emily’s reciprocal teaching article, Montelongo & Herter’s (2010), “Using technology to support expository reading and writing in science classes.” The context is was used in stated, “Teachers can even encourage students to embellish their compositions through the use of a clip-art program or their own artwork and to enhance with pictures what they have conveyed with words, thus reinforcing student autonomy.”

What It Means?: According to www.dictionary.com,  autonomy means, “independence or freedom, as of the will or one’s actions.”

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/autonomy

Level of Familiarity: This is a word that I have seen and heard many times before. However, other than knowing it had to do with oneself, my level of familiarity was very limited.

Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why? I am determined to permanently add this term to my vocabulary. It plays a significant role in my own personal views of what a learning experience should be like. Although I want everything to be organized and effective in my own classroom, I also believe that my students should have the independence, freedom, and responsibility in their own learning.

Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well..if so Who and Why?  I encourage all my peers to familiarize themselves with this term. Autonomy can be highly correlated with increases in motivation and achievement. Giving more responsibility and freedom to our students allows for more creativity and expression. This allows our learners to make a more personal connection with the content.

No comments:

Post a Comment