Monday, November 29, 2010

12:5 Debate

When and Where Did I Find It: I decided to choose this word when I picked to do a creative debate for strategy seven for the part two of the SCATP.

What It Means?: According to www.dictionary.com, it means “A formal contest in which the affirmative and negative sides of a proposition or issue are advocated by opposing speakers.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/debate
               
Level of Familiarity: I am very familiar with this word.

Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why? This is a significant term and concept for me to know and understand as a social studies teacher. Implementing a debate in my classroom would allow the students to view information from multiple perspectives. It is also highly relevant to the debates we see on TV between political candidates. This allows me to see how knowledgeable or passionate those candidates are concerning specific issues.

Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well..if so Who and Why?  I think this word would be highly useful for others to be cognizant of. Debating allows for multiple perspectives to be researched and analyzed. This can be especially useful for controversial issues. Debates can be administered in many others content areas other than social studies. As teachers, we are also empowering our students in their student-led discussion after their research is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment