Wednesday, November 3, 2010

8:2 Pacifism

When and Where Did I Find It: I encountered this word while reading my textbook “World History: Making Connection to Today” by Elizabeth Gaynor Ellis and Anthony Esler. to create my strategy toolbox for Part 2 of my SCATP.

What It Means?: Ellis & Esler (2005) state, “Finally, widespread pacifism, or opposition to all war, and disgust with the destruction during the previous war pushed many governments to seek peace at any price.” According to the textbook, pacifism refers to the opposition of all war.”


Ellis, E. G., & Esler, A. (2005). World History Making Connections to Today, Needham, MA: Prentice Hall.


Level of Familiarity: I have encountered this word many times while studying World War II., however my level of familiarity is only moderate. I knew it had something to do with war, but I did not remember it was the opposition of it.

Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why? I find it a necessity to become more familiar with this word. It is a fairly significant term of this chapter which students are also required to comprehend. It would be unfair of me as a teacher to ask something of my students that I am not also prepared to do. I have already begun studying this word on a flashcard and writing it in sentances to ensure I retain the information.

Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well..if so Who and Why? This is an interesting word that I would encourage you al to remember. Especially since we are still fighting in the longest war of our nation’s history, this word can relate to our everyday lives. It is a great idea to encourage peace and opposition to war so we can send the troops of the world back to their respective homes and families.


1 comment:

  1. Brett, I saw your first image when I was scrolling through my RSS. What a great image! I hope you are bookmarking the links to these images so you will be able to use them in your future classes.

    ReplyDelete