Monday, November 29, 2010

12:6 Nuance

When and Where Did I Find It: I was re-reading my highlighted notes from Fisher & Frey’s “Word-Wise & Content Rich” when I came across this word. The sentence read, “Extensive vocabularies help one refine one’s thinking through more nuance and sophistication.” I already had the word highlighted but had no idea what it meant.

What It Means?: According to www.dictionary.com,  nuance means “shade of expression, color, or meaning.”

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nuance
               
Level of Familiarity: I am not familiar with this word at all.

Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why? I find this word to be fairly interesting, and would like to become more familiar with it. However, I feel this word would be difficult for me to implement into my casual conversations. I need more practice with this word to figure out when it is appropriate to use without sounding forced or out of place.

Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well..if so Who and Why?  I do not think this word is particularly important to the point where people should strive to learn it. It is the concept of the word that I urge people to pay more attention to. Highlighting or providing more depth and meaning to information will increase our student’s chances of retention and comprehension.

No comments:

Post a Comment